Woman Shot By Police on Capitol Hill After Leading Chase

Thursday, October 3rd


By Audrey Arnal – Annabelle Legout – Maria Torstad


A 33-year-old woman with a small child in her car was shot dead by police near the Capitol after she led officers on a chase from the White House and rammed a police car, injuring an officer

By press time, the woman was not identified. The child apparently was not harmed.

Kim Dine, the chief of the Capitol Police, told the New York Times that the car chase started after the woman tried to pass through a security barricade near the White House. He said the woman’s car struck a police car on Capitol Hill, and then crashed into a barricade. A police officer was injured in the crash. Officers fired at least seven shots at the car as it sped off, according to video of the incident.

A law enforcement source told the Washington Post that the woman was not armed. In the car with her was also a little child, but the child seemed uninjured, according to authorities.

The shots were fired on Constitution Avenue NE near the Senate. The Capitol was locked down between 2:30 pm and 3:00 p.m. Nobody in the Capitol was hurt, but members in all Senate offices buildings were asked to “shelter in place”. Thirty minutes later, authorities lifted the security lockdown as police said the incident was over and the area secured.

Justin Herman, a 33-year-old government employee, was just in his apartment at Capitol Hill when he heard the shots being fired. He has lived there since he returned from serving in the Air Force in 2007, and he says the neighborhood is often eventful, especially in times of political tension.

“Every few years there is either a fake bomb or there is something going on around here”, Herman says.

This event occurred less than three weeks after the shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, where 12 people killed, and on the third day of the government shutdown. Police said that this is an isolated accident and that it is apparently not connected to terrorism.